Avocados are one of mother nature’s nutrient dense superfoods. As if we need another excuse to love them, here’s a short collection of facts about how they can be beneficial to you:
- Avocados contain around 20 vitamins, nutrients and phytonutrients. Some of these include vitamins C, E, K, B5, B6, potassium (more than bananas!), magnesium, niacin and folate.
- Vitamins C, B, B6 and niacin promote good energy levels by maintaining blood sugar levels. Vitamin C aids in the absorption of iron from food which may support increased energy. Vitamin C is also the key nutrient used in collagen production.
- Avocados contain high levels of antioxidants (Vitamins C&E) that reduce tiredness and promote normal immune, brain and nervous system function. The purpose of such high antioxidant capacity in avocados is to prevent their healthy fats going rancid too quickly.
- Avocados contain another natural antioxidant compound called phenolics which are an anti-inflammatory for the body.
- Avocados contain an important source of folate, an essential vitamin for healthy growth and development, during all stages in life but in particular for children and during pregnancy to promote healthy fetal development.
- Avocados are a source of healthy fats both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. Healthy fats help to increase absorption of important fat-soluble vitamins such as Vitamin E, A, D, K and beta-carotene.
- Avocados possess natural carotenoid pigments that are important for eye health.
- Avocados are a good source of dietary fibre which helps reduce cholesterol re-absorption in the intestine and supports regular bowel movements.
- The abundance of good fats and fibre in avocados naturally keeps you fuller for longer without blood sugar spikes.
- Avocados are great for the heart as they help guard against high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke.
- Avocados are cholesterol free and have naturally low levels of sugar and sodium.
New Zealand Avocado. (2020). Nutrition & health. https://www.nzavocado.co.nz/avocado-nutrition/nutrition-health/